How Long After Shocking A Pool Can You Swim?

The swimming season has returned! That means pools all over the country are getting ready to help you and many others cool off. Swimming pools don’t just magically become ready for use when the weather warms up. They must be shocked and prepared beforehand.

Shocking is a crucial part of having a clean pool. It does, however, involve the use of some pretty hefty chemicals, including chlorine. It’s only natural to wonder when you can dive in after all of that.

Here is why you definitely shouldn’t rush the process:

What Exactly Do You Do When You Shock A Pool?

how long after shocking a pool can you swim

If you’ve spent time around pools, you may have heard the term here and there. But you aren’t necessarily born knowing how these things work. By shocking, you are adding chemicals to the water to improve its composition. This is so that chlorine or non-chlorine alternatives can work most effectively.

During the shocking process, the aim is to raise the level of “free chlorine” in the pool to a point in which bacteria and algae are destroyed. Chlorine that has not yet neutralized harmful contaminants in the pool is called free chlorine.

When is it safe to swim in a pool after it’s been shocked?

If your pool has been shocked, it is generally recommended that you wait up to 24 hours before jumping in. This also depends on the size of your pool. Larger pools should usually be left longer than smaller pools.

You should also check the pH and chlorine levels of the water if you’re overseeing pool maintenance in order to make sure they’re in the right range before you or anyone else gets into the water. In a healthy pool, pH levels should be between 7.2 and 7.8, and chlorine levels should range from 1.0 to 4.0 parts per million.

Are There Any Risks Associated With Getting Into A Pool Too Soon After It’s Been Shocked?

Several issues could arise. An acid will be produced when chlorine reacts with water. Chlorine’s effects depend on whether it is inhaled or whether it is in contact with the eyes or the skin.

At the very least, you will have dry skin. This can also aggravate skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis if you already suffer from those conditions. Even blisters, burning, and redness are possible in extreme cases.

Additionally, the water can cause damage to your lungs and eyes. A variety of symptoms such as watery eyes, pain, blurred vision and redness may be experienced. A common side effect of inhalation is shortness of breath, , wheezing, chest tightness, and fluid in the lungs.

Additionally, drinking pool water accidentally could result in feeling sick or even throwing up.

Fortunately, the effects are usually reversible. As soon as you notice symptoms after jumping into the pool after it has been shocked, it is important to get out of the pool and get to fresh air. Make sure all exposed clothing is removed and that all affected areas are washed thoroughly with soap and water. Taking out your contact lenses and thoroughly rinsing your eyes with saline solution is recommended if you wear contacts.

Once you’ve cleaned off your skin, it’s recommended you use a moisturizer or, if it’s really bad, topical steroid cream to relieve your symptoms. It’s time to call 911 if you are having trouble breathing.

Although it’s frustrating to have to wait to hop into your swimming pool, but your health is definitely not worth the risk.


The main aim of this article is to answer the question how long after shocking a pool can you swim? We also explain what shocking a swimming pool is and when it should be safe to swim in a pool after it has been shocked. We hope that you have found this helpful. Please leave a comment and let us know. Take a look at another useful article that we’ve written for you about How To Level An Above Ground Pool.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *